The late Frank Rawlinson arrived in Goolgowi from Dingee, Victoria in 1928 to share farm wheat. In 1930 he accepted a grain agency from Dalgety & Co. Ltd. He later became a wool agent for this company and in 1947 built the first sheepyards in Goolgowi where special store sales were conducted until 1970. In 1951, Les Brown, then with Dalgetys, was transferred to Goolgowi as a representative of the company to assist Mr Rawlinson with the running of the agency. In 1955, with Kooba Station being balloted for closer settlement, it was becoming increasingly obvious that Griffith would develop into an important stock selling centre.
Rawlinson & Brown Pty Ltd
The partnership of Rawlinson & Brown was formed – Frank Rawlinson stayed in Goolgowi and influenced stock to the Griffith market and Les Brown managed the Griffith Branch at offices rented from the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney.
In 1964, a branch was opened at Hillston managed by Peter Pulver, this had proven to be a valuable part of the business with the Hillston district being a source of supply of quality stock, sound, healthy and free of disease. Peter was succeeded by Alister Watt, Gavin Brady and Neale Flanagan, after which the agency business of Mulcahy & Wall was acquired and Ron Mulcahy became Branch Manager. The purchase of Mulcahy & Wall enabled Rawlinson & Brown’s full range of services to be available to our Hillston clientele.
With the farm merchandising section growing, it was decided that a larger premises was required and with the return of Col Denston in 1973, the new premises were built at 105 Banna Avenue. Lawry Owers joined the firm in 1977 to develop the real estate division. Further expansion into rural merchandising, real estate and insurance, soon indicated that this new building was not large enough to cope with the rapid expansion.
Finally in 1983, a decision was made to acquire premises at 50-56 Banna Avenue, previously occupied by J.F.Ledgerwood & Co., allowing the firm to further develop rural merchandising and drive-in real estate facilities, culminating further with the establishment of an insurance division in 1986.
In July 2002 a branch was opened in Hay, with the acquisition of two private stock and stations along with real estate agencies. This business was sold off to Rodwells (part of Ruralco) in 2009. 2010 saw the acquisition of the successful agency business of J.L.Buchanan & Co in Coleambally and shortly after that, the purchase of a CRT outlet in Coleambally (Galvin & Wood). These two businesses replicate the operations of a full range of services as that of Griffith and Hillston.
With more than seventy years in the business, Rawlinson & Brown have continued to live by the philosophy of providing the utmost in quality, as well as personal and professional service to its customers. We will never forget that the loyalty of our customers is the ultimate measure of our success.